What grades are offered through Dayton Christian Homeschool?
- Grades K-12
What is required of the primary teaching parent?
- Testify to be a practicing born-again believer
- View home school education as a commitment and a calling
- Not have regular employment during normal school hours regardless of age of student enrolled
- Have ability to plan for and teach at his/her child’s educational level and accept responsibility to do so
- Accept responsibility for attending all scheduled meetings
- Earned a high school diploma or the equivalent
Does DC Homeschool require using certain curriculum?
- Families have freedom to choose the best curriculum for their children, in accordance with the DC Statement of Faith.
- DC Homeschool’s Curriculum Coordinator can recommend and advise parents on various curricula.
- Curricula is available to be borrowed by from the Homeschool Resource Room.
- The Homeschool Resource Room has thousands of items to borrow including teachers’ manuals, textbooks, test banks, audio-visual aids, games, manipulatives, and enrichment materials.
- All workbooks or non-DC curriculum is purchased by families.
Does DCS have an online learning option?
- DCS partners with Ignitia and Bob Jones Online to provide high quality, Christian online curricula to families. Additional licensing fees apply.
What are EXCEL days?
- EXCEL stands for EXperience Creative Enriching Learning
- EXCEL meets on the Dayton Christian School campus twice per month from 9:30- 2:30.
- Parents drop-off children grades K – 8, and are not required to stay.
- Includes a lunch period and short recess
- Classes vary each year, but have included science, Lego education, cooking, crochet, acting, music, personal finance, speech, literature, art, physical education, and more. All courses are taught from a Christian worldview by qualified teachers.
Is a uniform required on campus/at EXCEL?
- A uniform is required when attending any class at Dayton Christian School.
- Students may wear a uniform, Warrior spirit wear, or the Homeschool provided T-shirt.
What social opportunities are available?
- 16 EXCEL days per year
- On-campus electives such as art, music, and physical education, computer, foreign language, and more
- Field trips
- Family events: Winter Wonderland, Expert’s Night, EXCELebration,
- Athletic and drama participation
- Participation in ACSI Events: Spelling Bee and Speech Meet, and Math Olympics.
Is enrichment offered to the teaching parent?
- Periodic training workshops
- “Starting Strong” summer seminars
- Fellowship events
- Through Academic Advisors and DC Homeschool staff
- A Moms in Prayer group meets during EXCEL mornings.
What services are provided for students with special needs?
- DC Homeschool students have access to special testing services through the DCS Educational Assessment Office.
- For students whose test scores qualify for special needs, the Educational Assessment Office will provide the student with an Individualized Services Plan, or ISP.
What does an Academic Advisor provide?
- Monthly meetings offer teaching suggestions, accountability, encouragement, prayer, and support academic progress
- With the input of the primary teaching parent, a progress report will be completed by the Academic Advisor at the end of each semester.
Do students have to participate in standardized testing?
- Testing is required each spring for every K-8 student.
- The Terra Nova3 is administered in the spring under the supervision of the DCS Homeschool Director, staff and EXCEL teachers.
- Students who have accommodations in their Individual Services Plans (ISP) may complete yearly testing with the Educational Assessment Office.
Can my children play sports or participate in plays or musicals?
- Students through grades 8 can participate in sports and drama.
- Eligible students in grades 9 – 12 can participate in sports and fine arts.
What opportunities are available for high school students?
- Engage in academically rigorous, Biblically-based courses
- Eligible to participate in athletic, drama, pep band and other campus activities including J-term, sports and social events, senior trip, chapel, senior retreat, graduation ceremony, and more.
- Access to stimulating elective courses
- Accredited DC diploma available